Friday, January 15, 2010

Chosen Profession


I am an artist. And I get a lot of sideways glances for saying that out loud. Sure, anybody who knows me wouldn’t raise an eyebrow at hearing me refer to myself an an artist, but when meeting someone for the first time, it never fails to draw some level of surprise or skepticism.


That may seem rude or prejudiced of people, but consider this: what is the second question we’re always asked when we meet somebody new? If the first is our name, the second question is usually, “What do you do?” meaning, “How do you make your money?” (Unless you’re getting picked up, then they’ll be fishing for information on your significant other. Or so I’m told, I’ve never been hit on, as far as I know.)


Personally, what I do for money has little to do with who I am. I work four part-time jobs, and I’m not sure which, if any, will ever evolve into a career. I have two brothers who could both honestly answer the question, though. One is a teacher, the other a sailor, and they are both passionate about their chosen professions. When my brother says, “I’m a sailor,” he’s referring not only to how he earns his living, but also to what he loves; what he does for fun. My other brother may not teach for fun, but none of us doubts that he’s found his calling.


But would it be wrong of him to say, upon introduction, “I’m a father”? Doubtless he’d rather be with his family than twenty teenagers.


I used the phrase ‘chosen profession’ above. My older brother has a Bachelor’s in history and a Master’s in education. My younger is a Massachusetts Maritime Academy graduate. I have a Bachelor’s of Fine Arts, and we three are all pursuing our ‘chosen professions’. I simply must do other things to make ends meet. Perhaps the reason I’ve been unable to parlay any of my jobs into a career is that I’ve already chosen my profession. I say ‘perhaps’, but we all know it to be true.


I personally find the question discomforting. If I answer dishonestly, and say “I’m a teacher,” the next question will invariably be “Where do you work?” Nowhere in particular, I’m a sub. Should I say “I work part time as a land surveyor and also as a furniture conservator?” Both are good jobs that I do enjoy, but can one honestly call a part-time job a career?


And if I answer truthfully? I know that “I’m an artist” better communicates who I am as a person - my dreams, my motivations, my passions and my future plans. Most folks react to my answer with genuine interest, as that it’s so far removed from what they’re used to hearing. The rest of the conversation passes amiably, discussing my art, their own favorite artists, friends of theirs who are also artists, or other interesting, art-related topics. Whenever I’ve introduced myself as a land surveyor, I’ve had to hear about the neighbors fence or argue the merits of denitrification. For the most part, people like to know that there are individuals out there who are at least trying to live the dream, and want to latch onto the dream themselves, if only for a little while.


There are always a few jerks who’ll counter with “Well, you’ll never make any money ‘til you’re dead,” but I’m not in the business of justifying my existence to them. I’m a pragmatist, and I know it’ll be a long time, if ever, before art will support my wife and I. I know I’ll need a day job. But I’m not about to give up my identity to fit more seamlessly into polite conversation.


So I mitigate. I think I’ve effectively distilled years of awkward conversations into an appropriate response. It stops the cynics from tearing at your passion and lets the believers in on the joke. It neither denies me my identity, nor diminishes the struggles that every one of us, artist or otherwise, faces in life. And I invite my fellow artists to help themselves to it: “I am an artist. But I work other jobs to feed the art habit.”


Note: Since writing this, I've taken a post as an art teacher and am happy with it. But I stand by my original intent...

No comments:

Post a Comment